FloSports is looking for a passionate copy editor to help bring polish and clarity to our web content while maintaining the unique style and voice that have become synonymous with FloSports.
We are looking for an editor with a keen eye for detail, who enjoys perfecting writing, loves playing a vital role in publishing extraordinary content, and wants to encourage writers with positive and constructive feedback.
This person will take on prioritized editing tasks across all of our sports verticals related to:
Quality assurance: Refining content to ensure excellence and consistency; checking for spelling, grammar, syntax, and flow; and ensuring that the tone, message and style accurately represent the FloSports voice.
Editing and feedback: This person will need to be the initial copy reviewer to ensure quality and consistency before publishing and/or a final review for approval by the Director of Content and Chief Creative Officer.
- Be respectful of the writer’s style and voice while also being firm in enforcing the company style guide.
- Check text to ensure it is well written and logically structured.
- Correct grammar and spelling errors.
- Check facts and raise queries with the author.
- Be alert to any potential legal problems in the text — such as libel and copyright violations — and discuss them with the author and editorial management.
- Check images to ensure that captions are correct.
- Compose headlines for each article that draw the reader in and also follow best practices for SEO.
- Be mindful of article word count and fine tune text to ensure it is engaging.
- Consistently balance deadlines with quality.
The preferred candidate:
- Has a minimum of 4 years of experience as an editor in print or digital journalism.
- Is a self-starter who is capable of managing a heavy workload and who has excellent time management skills.
- Is reliable, creative, and in possession of a strong work ethic.
- Has experience editing breaking news, features and projects as well as social media and web productions.
- Has solid communication skills and experience working on a cross-functional team.
- Has solid news journalism experience and news judgment.
- Has a solid understanding of social media platforms and their usefulness.
- Has strong English grammar and excellent organizational skills.
- Is familiar with HTML as well as AP style, The Chicago Manual of Style or The New York Times stylebook.
- Has familiarity with major Internet search engines and fluency in electronic news-gathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet.
- Has knowledge of a broad array of sports.
ABOUT FLOSPORTS, INC.
FloSports, an innovative sports media and events company based in Austin, Texas, is the authentic source for content and a new world of coverage that true fans have been waiting for. Focused on three areas – live competition and coverage, original content, and owned and operated events – the company takes fragmented communities and provides them the platform to connect with the sports they love. Through live streaming of premier events, original video programming, weekly studio shows, branded entertainment, and event creation and execution, FloSports is changing the game for the sports, the athletes and the fans. Current verticals under the FloSports header are Elite Fitness, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Grappling, Bodybuilding, Softball, Cheerleading, Boxing, and Running, including MileSplit.com.